Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dinner With a View

For the boyfriend's birthday, I took him to dinner. While I have a few of my favorite restaurants in the city, I (almost) always want to try something new. Especially when it involves a birthday toast.



There's something exciting about trying a new place.

When I got an email from Gilt City which included a coupon for dinner (one appetizer, one side, two entrees and a bottle of wine for $79) at Haven Rooftop, I took it as a sign. This was the restaurant we should try.

(Of course later the thought did occur to me that a rooftop restaurant in this weather might not be the smartest idea, but I dismissed it. If they were sending out coupons, it wouldn't actually be outside...right? Well, I was right and wrong, in a sense. The restaurant is tented with a clear tent--and heated--so it's the best of both worlds. You still have a great view but you're not freezing.)

We did not regret my choice.



I've walked by the Sanctuary hotel and wondered what it was a number of times. It just looks so fancy. It's this beautiful old building with columns and a red carpet and two bouncer looking fellows guarding the door. I meant to snap a picture when I walked up, but it was so cold that I forgot.

When we arrived, we went up to the roof and were ushered to our seats. We had a special menu for the Gilt City coupon.



We ended up with a bottle of pinot grigio. I did let the birthday boy choose, but I'm pretty sure the win choice was in consideration for me. I tend to go for the chilled white wine most often. He did get a birthday scotch though so he didn't complain.




For an appetizer, we started with steak tacos--the boyfriend's choice, and it was a good one.



Even the tortilla chips were good.

After that we sat back and enjoyed the view.







The tent doesn't make for the best pictures, but you get the idea.

For dinner, I did the Gnocchi (with truffle oil!) which was so good that I dreamt about it last night.



This picture really doesn't do it justice (the sun was setting and I only had my iphone).

The boyfriend got the Steak Au Poivre and then we shared them both, along with a side of garlic mashed potatoes which I forgot to snap a picture of. It's okay though, they looked like what you'd expect. They just tasted better.



After dinner we looked at the dessert menu.



We decided on Creme Brulee...


And a warm Irish Cream Caramel Coffee. (Reading the description, I actually forgot that I wouldn't like the coffee.)



And since the boyfriend was telling everyone who would listen that it was his birthday, the restaurant brought us a sparkler and played a happy birthday song for the whole restaurant. I couldn't have planned it better myself. (Which was a good thing, since I was so involved in the food).





The food was fabulous. The view was just as good.

It's safe to say that despite my desire to try new places, we're going to go back to Haven. It might be one of my new favorites.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

 

elizabeth norris Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger